Heather Porter
Participant

A benefit of using the timeline approach is how it helps keep students right on the edge of their ability to learn. The approach allows for optimum learning when used effectively. When we understand what reasonable expectations for that brain state, it allows the educator to remain regulated. It’s an opportunity to have one foot in and one foot out, to intervene appropriately.
I agree with Abigail 100% that a challenge of using this approach is being able to identify the brain state the child may be in. Many times as an observer I can see where a child may have been teetering right on the verge of becoming dysregulated, but the teacher may have missed the subtle (or not so subtle) clues to a change in regulation for the student. When teachers are not noticing that a student is dysregulated, and they use an approach such as being reflective- the student will remain in dysregulation and most of the time will escalate to communicate the mismatch. I talk to teachers often about how they may feel that a student did something ‘for no reason’ but there is always reason we may just have not seen it (or felt it). Thus, the challenge is noticing to then ensure we’re using an appropriate strategy for the correct brain state. To work with this, I would use the brain states visual and felt experiences to model the approach.