On this page you’ll find a variety of resources to use for your own reference, or deepening your own learning, and for use in teaching students or others.
Trauma-Informed is Messy Business
Bibliographic Support Materials:
- Bowan, Rick and Doris. Proactive Behavior & Trauma-Informed Solutions. https://bowmanconsultgroup.com/
- Boyce, Thomas (2019). The Orchid and the Dandelion: Why Some Children Struggle and How All Can Thrive. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group.
- Cozolino, Louis (2014). Attachment-Based Teaching: Creating a Tribal Classroom. W.W. Norton & Co., NY.
- Delahooke, Mona (2019). Beyond Behaviors: Using Brain Science and Compassion to Understand and Solve Children’s Behavioral Challenges. Pesi Publishing. WI.
- Delahooke, Mona (2022). Brain-Body Parenting: how to Stop Managing Behavior and Start Raising Joyful Resilient Kids. Harper Collins Publishers, NY.
- Demartini, John (2013). The Values Factor: The Secret to Creating and Inspired and Fulfilling Life. Berkley Books, NY
- Descautels, Lori (2020). Connections Over Compliance: Rewiring Our Perceptions of Discipline. Wyatt McKenzie Publishing, OR.
- Dion, Lisa (2018). Aggression in Play Thearpy: A Neurobiological Approach for Integrating Intensity. W. W. Norton & Co., NY.
- Forbes, Heather (2019). Classroom 180: A Framework for Creating, Sustaining, and Assessing the Trauma-Informed Classroom. Beyond Consequences Institute, CO.
- Forbes, Heather (2012). Help for Billy: A Beyond Consequences Approach to Helping Challenging Children in the Classroom. Beyond Consequences Institute, CO.
- Greene, Ross. Collaborative and Proactive Solutions. https://www.cpsconnection.com/
- Iacoboni, Marco (2009). Mirroring People: The Science of Empathy and How we Connect with Others. Picador, NY
- Koscinski, Cara (2018). Interoception How I Feel: Sensing my World From the Inside Out. Martin Publishing Services.
- Mahler, Kelly (2017). Interoception the Eighth Sensory System: Practical Solutions for Improving Self-Regulation, Self-Awareness and Social Understanding. AAPC Publishing, KS.
- McTighe, Jay and Judy Willis (2019). Upgrade Your Teaching: Backwards Design Meets Neuroscience. ASCD, VA.
- Moore, Chris (2020). “Compensate for My Brain State: Dr. Bruce Perry’s Arousal Continuum.” https://www.epinsight.com/post/compensate-for-my-brain-state-the-arousal-continuum
- Pennington, Valerie. “Hacking the Limbic System.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmCYywtna2I.
- Perry, Bruce and Oprah Winfrey (2021). What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing. Flatiron Books, NY.
- Perry, B.D. (2020, March 23rd). 1. Patterns of Stress & Resilience: Neurosequential Network Stress & Trauma Series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwIn02h6V4
- Porges, Stephen (2017). The Pocket Guide to the Polyvagal Theory: The Transformative Power of Feeling Safe. W. W. Norton & Co., NY
- Rosenberg, Stanley (2017). Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self-Help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, and Autism. North Atlantic Books, CA.
- Schore, Alan (2019). Right-Brain Psychotherpy. W. W. Norton & Co., NY
- Seigel, Dan (2018). Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence. Penquin Random House, NY.
- Van Der Kolk, Bessel (2014). The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. Penquin Books, NY.
- Teaching sensations in the body
- Use this to begin teaching interoceptive language and helping students identify these sensations.
- Listening to my Body
- Noticing heartrate, breathing and body sensations to get curious about what my body is communicating to me.
- Teaching Interoception: Noticing my Body (prep for body bingo)
- Simple version of “Noticing my body worksheet” that can be used to prepare for body bingo
- Body Bingo Cards and Body Bingo Instructions
- Noticing My Body Worksheets
- 4 different versions of worksheet focused on developing interoceptive language ranging from beginning to advanced skills
- How do I know how I feel?
- Linking feelings (the words we give to clusters of sensations) to the physical sensations in my body that give me clues to my feelings.
- Understanding What My Body is Saying
- Noticing physical sensations in my body based on sensory data from my eyes and ears (evocative pictues and music).
- Messages from my body
- More advanced level of developing interoceptive awareness (finding limits in our body)
- Interoception Card Game
- Linking interoceptive language to arousal states and Braindrops
- Holding a Braindrop in My Hand Ebook Video
- 30 minutes total broken down into three 10 minute sections
- Chair yoga