Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Creating regulatory spaces can feel overwhelming if you try to do it a certain way. How can you approach this from where you are right now, given only the resources you currently have available to you? And, how can you help educators see this concept from this perspective?

Heather Porter
    Participant

I would approach creating regulatory spaces in my building, by first looking at what we have that when used is patterned and repetitive. Secondly, I would help educators recognize that we can use what we have on hand by asking them to look around their classroom and find objects that are currently in the room which they find regulating for themselves. I would point out how they were able to find things that created options for regulation. I want to make regulatory spaces in every classroom, and in our motor/sensory room. One of the things that I keep coming back to, is giving doses of regulation all day. We don’t have to have a specific room to be able to do that, and in preschool I think we have a phenomenal opportunity to demonstrate to teachers that children gravitate toward play that is regulating for themselves, and we can observe and deliberately put those items in spaces that the children can access. In addition, I have recommended to teachers to use nap music that has a heart beat sound. This can be regulating for an entire classroom, and I would connect that to using what we have and where we have it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.