Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

The idea that “behaviors make sense” can be misinterpreted to mean that all behaviors are “acceptable” at school or in the classroom. How would you explain this concept to educators? And, why do you think some educators might perceive this statement in this way? What’s the set-up?

Ekta Bid
    Participant

I think I would meet the educators where they are at, then explain it to them. I would get off the pedestal :). Some educators may perceive this statement in this way due to their own beliefs and projections. Still figuring out the set up…

Judith Norman
    Keymaster

So true, Ekta, this response comes from their own beliefs and projections. In class 4 when we talk about the developmental mindset paradigm, we’ll learn how to work with this.

Lisa Walton
    Participant

I’m definitely guilty of putting myself on the pedestal and missing the importance of meeting the educators where they are at. Which straight-away creates disconnection and engagement because the setup is judgement. Taking a neutral position – the observer – is helpful to avoid being pulled into a debate between perceptions. In trying to explain this I try to reframe the purpose of behaviours as being information that they can work with (because they almost always feel like they ‘can’t’ work with behaviours) and a window into the state of the nervous system in that moment. As well as the setup of feeling judged and not good enough, there may also be a sense of feeling out of control, overwhelmed, powerless. So the reframe gives them an anchor. Something to work with and help them see the behaviours differently – and the person in front of them.

Judith Norman
    Keymaster

I have found that feeling out of control, overwhelmed and powerless is so often how educators are feeling and this is such a challenging place to be. I can imagine that from that state hearing someone say that behaviors make sense can feel very invalidating. I agree that helping them reframe the behavior as information is so useful. I often also work to show them that the behavior is a clue helping point us towards what to do next.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.