Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Using the timeline approach to interventions has benefits and challenges. What do you perceive as the greatest benefits and challenges? How might you work with the challenges you identified?

Ekta Bid
    Participant

In my opinion the biggest benefit of the timeline approach is time, you do not need to rush the process, you meet the child/ client where they are at and there maybe many layers to peel before getting the connection that is desired. Biggest challenge is time as well, humans love things done fast and are impatient. To deal with this challenge, I would meet the caregivers and educators where they are at as well and get off the pedestal and work with them to support the child/client.

Judith Norman
    Keymaster

So true that rushing through often won’t get us the results we’re hoping for and even though we know this, it’s not easy to do! In this question, I was referring to the timeline approach we covered in class 3 that highlights having different expectations and goals based on the brain and body state of the student, and the corresponding categories and approaches to support using the right strategy at the right time.

Lisa Walton
    Participant

The overarching benefit is the permission to meet a person (educator or student) where they are at, which is a shortcut to creating a neuroception of safety. A challenge could be the mismatch between this approach and current, traditional expectations and approach around behaviour management in the classroom and transitioning to this more attuned approach to supporting the classroom nervous system.

Judith Norman
    Keymaster

Lisa, so true! I think people sometimes interpret this approach as lowering expectations or not holding others accountable. Yes, it can feel that way in the moment, yet when we look at it with an understanding of the nervous system, it’s in fact just the opposite!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.